RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carbon T-28
Thread: Carbon T-28
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 07:35 AM
BULLITTGT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering block sticking.

Hey guys
I took my t28 apart after 38 flights to look the nose gear over. I never had the sticky steering block issue to the point it ruined the servo but it didn't operate very smoothly. The problem is the rough lathe turned surface of the rod the block slides on. I'm a professional machinist so it's easy to feel with your finger nail. I sanded mine smooth and with a touch of grease it slides smoothly now while maintaining the engineered tolerances between the block and steering rod.

I was more surprised how the retract circuit board wiring is getting crushed by the weight of the plane and landing forces. There is no air space between the wires and the floor of the nose retract mount. The wires were pounded flat and this is probably the source of many failing retract. I made a pair of spacers to fit between the mount and the retract flange to prevent further crushing of the delicate wiring. Same issue with the main gear but the wires are up aginst foam instead of hard plastic.I carefully removed some foam where the wire impressions were.
I am designing and machining some items to install a much needed oleo strut on the nose gear, and will do the same for the mains when time allows.
After some testing the oleo struts may be available if any T28 owners are interested. Hope this info helps. Thanks

Last edited by BULLITTGT; 11-01-2017 at 08:01 AM.