RCU Forums - View Single Post - SAFE and AS3X
Thread: SAFE and AS3X
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 04:52 PM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MaxSouthoz
I understand your point of view, Tom.
Our Club has a fleet of trainer aircraft and a team of experienced instructors.
I don't expect to attempt to fly the Pawnee until about this time next year, after proceeding through the levels of Club qualifications.
The Apprentice has three levels of gyro assistance and I have already been able to make short forays in Beginner mode on my own.
That success may have been assisted by my experience decades ago flying RC gliders.
I appreciate your concern.
I am getting the same advice and assistance from Club members.
It's taken me several weeks to find a forum of this quality. I hope to spend many happy hours here.
I have my own model forum and I am an Administrator of two others. The vibe here is very good.
Last year I completed my Master Modellers' degree with the NMRA. Now I can see the giant leaps forward in RC technology, I want to return to RC flying for fresh challenges.
I'm interested in the notes under your signature.
Are you able to post me any links to the organisations?
At the moment, I'm reading everything.
Cheers
Max
Hey, Tom. I think he's in pretty good hands, don't you? Back in the '80's, I flew nothing but sailplanes for two years straight.
I learned more about piloting an airplane more in that time span then I've ever learned flying powered models. So, there's that. The Apprentice flies much like any other trainer, when you turn off the SAFE system. That system was incorporated for people who insist on learning on their own. Not ideal, of course.
Max, on one respect, Tom is right. Grab an instructor by the ear and turn off the "crutch." You really don't need (or want) it.
And Tom, The Kadet series are fine airplanes, to be sure. But they certainly aren't the only game in town. Have you ever flown a Midwest Aerostar, or a Great Planes PT 60? How about a Senior Telemaster? My goodness, these are fantastic trainers! The Senior Telemaster may well be the best trainer...ever! If you crash that airplane, you should take up knitting, it's that good!
--------------------------------

If you don't believe me, just ask me!