RCU Forums - View Single Post - SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 11:17 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

AV8TOR - I know how to rebuild engines, I just don't want to.

I worked on a lot of the Syssa's before he stopped supporting the engines. I even gave Todd the fix for his early muffler problem. Todd did not know the meaning of "configuration control." Some of the major parts, like the reed assembly, were NOT interchangeable from engine to engine. That made working on them a major pain in the butt.

The only reason I'd like to have new bearings in the other Syssa is so I have a cheap (I already have it) backup engine to use if the first one fails. I've been through four of them already. That was early in the design phase and Todd told me to run the engines to destruction, which I did. I was getting about 250 hours on an engine before it failed. They were beyond economical repair when the bearings failed, but they were all under warranty so Todd replaced them at no charge. The engines are way out of warranty now and the bearing are just a little rough on one engine, still the repair cost may be more than a new DLE, I don't know if there is any FOD.

My goal is to eventually replace it with a DLE-35ra because that engine is so much better. Right now, I don't want to go through the hassle of going from a 3 bolt mount to 4 bolt on the bipe. I didn't make access to the back of the engine easy on this plane due the type of construction I used. My policy is that if the engine died in flight, I would replace it with a DLE.

Here is the RCU link to the Lazy Ace build. The plans I used were just the ones showing the outline of the plane because the construction method I used is so different from the original. I don't have plans. Chuck and I used to fly at the Thunderbird field. I didn't build one early because everyone here had one, or two. Now I haven't seen one for several years.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scra...coroplast.html