RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fuji .05
Thread: Fuji .05
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 08:40 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't mind a heavier motor if it makes more power, like if it is a schnuerle with ball bearings. Power to weight ratio is important for sure but it is the weight of the total airplane. As a percentage, 20% of the motor weight may be 5% of the plane which is nothing if the power is 30% more. The poor old Queen Bee got such a bad rap comparing it to a TD. Very few TDs had a muffler, and the Queeny had one and was only a reedy. To compare it with no muffler to a B Bee with no muffler would be more fair. It would win that, as the muffler is quite restrictive. Some of the .049s are sharing the c case of an .06 so that adds a bit of weight too, like Norvel CS and Fora. I am not sure if the Fuji has a bigger brother. When I was trying for records I had to use an .049 but weight made no measurable difference when going in a straight line. (Control line) A stunt plane or even a pylon racer is a different story when tight turns are needed. Now, again, the new combat planes are quite big now and a Fora .049 flies what used to be a .15 size plane quite well.

Last edited by aspeed; 11-03-2017 at 08:45 AM.