RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fuji .05
Thread: Fuji .05
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 09:14 AM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Interesting that it is as heavy as many .09's and a few .15's without muffler. The Cox .074 Queen Bee RC was about the same weight. It was said to have the power of the Tee Dee .049 with reasonable throttling characteristics, but never caught on. A heavier weight is not good for an engine, although some have shown that the Fuji has decent performance.

Nevertheless, I find it edifying when someone makes good use of an engine when placed in the right airframe.
I have had, in the past, planes that were to big for the available .049's but not quite .09 sized so I was delighted when the .074 queen bee came along and I bought one. I was a little disappointed in it's performance so bought a Norvel .074 and also the Purple Top Thunder Tiger .074 and did side by side comparisons - The Norvel won hands down for many reasons so I bought 5 more of them when I spotted one on E.bay. I found quickly that the Cox Queen Bee used the same threads and dimensions as the TD .09 and the only difference was the size of the crankpin. So I made a bronze bushing and sized it to fit the TD con rod and press fit it in place and turned my .074 Queen in to an .09 King. It performs much better as an .09 than it did as an .074. The larger cylinder bore didn't save any weight and I learned over time that teflon reeds also made a difference in performance.