RCU Forums - View Single Post - Does Losi Aftershock have 40 series wheels?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:36 PM
DadSonsAndToys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by scott36
Dude your all over the map aren't you. upgrade to 17 mm hex and you will have a ton of tire and rims choices to pick from...

copied from a different post for your info needed..

Losi went a little funky with the wheels but not as funky as you think. The wheels are 20mm hex and yeah nobody uses that besides Losi. For 20mm hex you have a choice of Losi dish wheels and the chrome ones and they're called Losi 420 for the size. These 420 wheels have a 3.8" tire mounting diameter which is the same as 40 series wheels so 40 series tires will fit Losi 420 wheels. 40 series wheels and tires used to be really popular, then monster trucks became less popular and when Traxxas came up with their own tire mounting bead (similar to buggy bead) 40 series basically disappeared. Unfortunately the Traxxas bead is also 3.8" which can lead to some confusion and since it's not a standard bead like 40 series the two are not compatible. You have been warned so double check the tire bead before ordering anything.

The choices in 40 series wheels and tires are really slim these days though. Proline has 40 series Trenchers (not the X, those are Traxxas bead) and one wheel in a standard offset. Axial has 40 series wheels but no tires, there's the Losi 420 stuff and that's about it besides whatever you can find that's used or old stock.

The LST2, XXL,XXL2 and XXL2e all use 8mm axles and can accept a wide variety of 17mm hex adapters though. I personally used Losi 8ight 1/2" extended adapters on my XXL because the 40 series is a little narrower than the Losi 420 and the 1/2" adapter put the outside edge of the tire equal to the Losi 420. The 8ight 17mm adapters did require a few shims behind them to take up the gap. Losi does have a 17mm kit for the LST2 that aren't extended and it includes a few shims to go behind the hex. With this kit and 1/2" offset wheels you won't lose any width at the outside edge of the tire. My Axial wheels aren't available in 1/2" offset though, come to think of it there's no 1/2" offset 40 series wheels, so I went with the 1/2" extended 17mm adapters instead.

So your basic choices are stay 20mm with Losi 420 wheels and your tire choices are limited to Losi and Proline Trenchers. Or you can swap to 17mm and run just about anything you want. _
Dude, I have an Aftershock. I stated this in the title. I can't "stay 20mm" because I don't have 20mm.

The excerpt you copied and pasted doesn't apply to the stock Aftershock.

There is no way that I know of to upgrade the Aftershock to 17mm hex, because the Aftershock has 14mm hex, unless I change the axles and a bunch of other parts (this is what I'm trying to avoid). Find me a hex adapter that goes from 14mm to 17mm that works with the Aftershock's 5mm axle and I'll buy you a beer or a coffee.