RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aluminium Tape Covering
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 02:23 AM
bethomson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Aluminium Tape Covering

Hi all,
I have just taken on a friends unfinished war bird project (An SC 120 4 stroke powered P51 Mustang built from plan).
In the main the body is almost finished leaving just the main wing and a few odds and ends to finalise.
The guy I got it from clearly had grand plans for build and had started to cover the fuselage in alloy tape. This is not a technique I have ever seen before and have only been able to find one video of it on you tube in which a guy covers a simple foam delta wing.
I would love to finish the model in this way as it looks fantastic. The friend had even started going over each panel of tape applying rivet detail with a narrow hexagonal copper tube he was pressing into the covering.

If anyone has ever covered a model in this way and has any tips and tricks to share I would love to hear from you. I'm interested in understanding how the structure under the tape should be prepared (Varnished / Just sanded ect)? Should the tape panels be overlapped and is adding rivet detail by pressing into the tape best way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks

PS: I've only snapped one pic of the model so far (as i was collecting it and squeezing it into my car), ill add more as soon as possible.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3147.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	2246421