RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can a Delta Wing have flaps?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 09:05 PM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
Ok, SO Should I just link them to the match the outside control surface for elevator movement only? That way the out side panels are programed as elevons, and the inside ones would just have a mix that would follow the elevator movement.

Im going to fiberglass the wing next week, so im making corrections now. I was thinking of adding the lower flaps but it looks like the servos are in the way. I also thought about adding the front leading edge slats, but I had a buddy at the museum that sent me some pics of the real one and the leading edge looks like it would be real weak as this is a foam wing.
This is the way to set it up:

Originally Posted by Quorneng
mikes68charger
It would perhaps be more logical to use the outers as ailerons and the inners just as elevators.
As a flying wing rather than a delta the control surfaces are close to the CofG and particularly at speed small movements have a significant effect so it is unlikely you will all four surfaces as elevators. .
As elevons it might take some effort to eliminate any unwanted pitch change with aileron movement and vice versa. Keeping pitch and roll control on different surfaces should keep it simple to set up.
He is dead on about you not wanting the inner and out control surface as elevator, it make for a very pitch sensitive setup that needs a ton of expo on the elevator to work.

Last edited by iron eagel; 12-07-2017 at 09:08 PM.