RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 12-07-2017, 10:30 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Novice_builder
Attachment 2247107Attachment 2247108Attachment 2247109Attachment 2247110Hi
I have nearly finished my first plane a q-tee from the 70's. Got plans of internet, converted it to electric, added 25mm to nose, added covers to battery and servo compartments...... I have no idea ho to fly it. I have a dx6I control.
Any advice welcome.
Andrew
Hi Andrew

You've done a fine job on your first model!

As others have advised get an experienced modeller to fly the model for you at first to check that everything is ok. You could then fly the model on a "Buddy box," a system whereby the instructor and pupil's transmitters are linked by a cable so that the instructor can regain control if the novice gets into difficulties. This is less wasteful on models than the "Grab-The-Transmitter" method with which I was taught! You do not necessarily have to use a genuine Spektrum cable, any cable with an ordinary (mono) mini jackplug on each end will do and these cables are readily available in electronic components shops. With the Spektrum Dx6i you can also link your transmitter wirelessly to most of the rest of the Spektrum transmitter range.

I strongly recommend that you join a club. The club's fees will include third party insurance which could be useful if you were to hit anything with your model, besides you will make lots of new friends with a similar interest.

I noticed the small Union Flag on the fuselage. Does this mean that you are British? If so the following will help you find your nearest club. Best of luck! https://bmfa.org/Clubs/Find-a-Club