RCU Forums - View Single Post - Chassis help
Thread: Chassis help
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 06:38 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

+1 for bill delong's post above.

My thoughts... every model of RC car should be offered as a kit first and then a RTR version should be the option. Enough said. Sorry, I had to get that outta the way. A person with get more out of the hobby by building a kit. I really do think a person will be saving money as well. It makes a lot of sense putting quality lower budget components, that you know are great, into your RC.

The RTR market is flooded with great RC models that I would like to have, but only come offered in RTR form. I get excited for a platform that looks to be very promising, and then think about going through the whole process of tearing out what gear I will not need/want in the RTR package. Most times it will be the servo, and radio gear that I don't not wish to have/use.

A lot of times RTR does not really mean ready to run. Some say "RTR" stands for Ready-To-Rebuild, Ready-To-Replace, or Ready-To-Rebuy. Most of the time, mediocre RTR components are put in the package to keep the price point to a minimum...lure you in to the addiction. That's not a bad thing at all. It gets a person to test the waters, so to speak. If you just want one RC, and if you don't anticipate buying other vehicles, then maybe the RTR route is a good deal..."getting your feet wet". If you already have a good radio, and/or other electronics to install, then buying a kit should be a better choice, but in this day and age, kits are not the norm....so sad.

I know the lure of low budget price tags. You have to take into consideration what comes in a RTR package deal. Some are great, and some are just poo. Companies pick, and choose what they think will fill the average hobbyist's needs while trying to keep the price point attractive. Battery, charger, and radio in RTR bundles are there to get you up and running quickly. Keep in mind the electronics are generally mediocre. Sometimes you won't even get a battery, or charger with a RTR. Just watch out for this.

Last edited by RustyUs; 12-18-2017 at 06:40 AM.