RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bridi RCM Trainer Rebuild
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 10:22 AM
Mr-Punk
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been working hard on it. I wish I could just work on airplanes for a living. I have been very productive this last week off work. I completed a recover on my Daddy Rabbit pattern plane, and installed recievers in 3 more of my fleet to get all my powered planes on my Aurora 9.

I got it all stripped and opened up the wing center. I flattened the dihedral it to only 1" under one side. Plans call for around 2 1/2". I poured 30 min epoxy in the slightly opened up center joint. Then I notched the center rib to allow for a dihedral brace that I epoxied to the rear of the spar. I also e glued a lot of the joints throughout the wing. Who ever built it was very sparingly with the yellow glue. I doubt it has ever flown. The wing was extremely weak. I'm talking it probably wouldn't hold 10 lbs. Pics don't show but I've added shear webs about halfway out the wing and re sheeted the center section. It's nice and stiff now.

On the fuse I'm going to saw off the cheeks and the hardwood engine rails. I'll then scab another piece of ply on the existing firewall and drill it to accept a Great Planes adjustable engine mount. This way I can use it as a engine test bed if I want to. While stripping the fuse I found that it had a bomb door built into it under the covering. Some of the sheeting wasn't glued down and was hinged on the front. I'm leaning toward ripping that out and putting a block in there and convert it to a tail dragger. I'm also leaning toward cutting the vertical fin off and moving it back and extending the rudder down like the GP Trainer. Talk about old school.. Look at the blocks of balsa for the cabin front and rear. 70's baby. It may have been built back then. I havn't found evidence of CA in it yet just epoxy and what looks like good ol carpenter glue..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2847.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	2249398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2849.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	2249399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2845.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	2.07 MB