RCU Forums - View Single Post - decathlon; which brand?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 09:05 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

That's definitely a Decathlon. I can't pinpoint the manufacturer either though. As mentioned, it's been altered slightly, and is missing some components. Really in rough shape, still fixable. That OS .70 four-stroke is a very decent engine though if that one's in good shape. The Futaba 9C is a very decent radio as well, even though it's not on 2.4ghz(I'm not sure if your country uses 72mhz like the US does).. I have a 9C that I've had for 16yrs that's still rock solid. All I've ever done is replace the battery... so you probably did well with that radio and engine.. and as said, the plane was a freebie in the mix, and can probably be repaired if you wanted too...

I do have to say though... don't let the high-wing fool you on these Decathlons. Some of them take quite a bit of experience to fly successfully. Most have a symmetrical airfoil, and are short-coupled, which makes them very aerobatic, and very quick. My guess is the original owner of this plane might have been in over his head, thinking it's docile because of the high-wing it has... which is quite common... but these planes when set up correctly are extremely manueverable and aerobatic. I own a GreatPlanes version that I built many many years ago... and it takes a definite touch to fly ... very doable.. but very unique in how they fly. Good luck with your plane... I'd say you did fine.