RCU Forums - View Single Post - What has changed in 8 years?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 11:36 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cubfloater
What are and where do you get the LiFe flight pack batteries? I just ordered new nicad flight pack batteries for couple of my planes as I shouldn't trust the old ones. I'm getting back in too after a few years. However I'm a hoarder and kept all my stuff.

Thanks,
Jim
Here's an 1100mah LiFe that's served me well for my 1.20 size and smaller glow planes... running 5 servos(4 of which are hi-torque). Plenty of power for 4-5 flights easily.. maybe more, but I usually fly 4-5 times and my meter still shows about 68% consistently after a days flying. There's also a 700mah available.. that would work great for anything .40 size and smaller... and they're all very lightweight.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-fl...___store=en_us

Here's a charger that's given me good service for about 4yrs now, and it charges any battery on the planet I think. It's AC/DC which is also very handy. These are referred to as "four-button" chargers, just an FYI if you want to Google.. as there's many varieties of these... and most are very easy to use.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6a...___store=en_us

LiFe batteries charge just like LiPo... example: the 1100mah battery(linked above) charges at 1.1 amp... so it takes only about an hour.

You will need a balance extension(buy them with the batteries where-ever you buy batteries)... as that's needed to charge a LiFe battery... and the balance input and pos/neg input from the battery get hooked to the charger for charging. There's also digital meters that work with all RC batteries.. and they're equipped to read LiFe's (again they'll read LiPo's, Nimh, NiCad,)... and some of those meters even have a "servo test" input/control to test servos. So just a little info there.

I didn't get rid of any of my chargers either just because I got this one... I use all my chargers as needed, and I can charge 3 or more packs at at time... I do monitor my batteries while charging.. it just makes sense... Another tid-bit too... you don't have to remove LiFe's from the plane to charge them. They're much more stable then LiPo's.

So just study it and shop it.. I've bought larger LiFe's (in the 3000-4000mah) range from Buddy's RC... and those can run a whole flight pack and ignition(with the right equipment). Good luck with it.

Last edited by DGrant; 01-27-2018 at 11:41 AM.