RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mold half trimming
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 06:19 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Mms citrus There are as many answers to your question as there are experts! You stated that you" mix a little paste up and bond the mold parts with that". This leads me to believe that you are joining the parts in the mold? This is standard practice, but often reserved for production situations so that the molds can be cycled faster. Also standard practice is to use joint tape, which is much stronger then just "paste". With joint tape there is usually less "migration" of the resin into the flange areas, so less of a problem releasing. Keep in mind that most of us recommend PVA as well as wax, but that the wax on the flanges will usually release OK. My suggestion is a little more time consuming, but worth considering. If you are only making one, or a few parts I would suggest that you join the parts outside the mold. I start by taping them together with small pieces of masking tape every inch or so. Then I use CA glue to join the halves. Finally I push joint tape over the seam, and brush on resin. I have brushes on long sticks for just this job. In the case of a fuselage, the tape is often applied through a wing saddle hole, but sometimes you have to be creative on how you accomplish the job. If you really want to join in the mold, you might consider putting masking tape on the mold flange. That way if you pull up some of the PVA on the flange when you trim, the the halves won't get stuck together. I hope this is clear. Good luck, Greg