RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kits from the 60's and 70's
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 08:23 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
What would separate a laser cut service from the pack in my mind would be offering canopies and landing gear.

Also, how big is this "resurgence"? Forums like this, ebay, etc., can give a misleading impression. In our club, there is very little building going on. When I go to meets, I don't see many kit-built planes, and the one I do see often turn out to be refurbished from something built a long time ago. Not trying to discourage you, I love building from kits or from scratch myself, but if you're going to put money into it I hope you do some careful research.

Jim
Good info above. When I scratch build, the canopy and landing gear always require long searches to source unless they are wire which I can bend myself. Add to that, many of the old designs are now flown with more powerful engines that require larger diameter props. This means less prop clearance with the stock gear. Often times an inch or so longer gear is required for safe ground clearance. Custom gear from companies like TnT Landing Gear are expensive though I've used their services many times.

If it were my company, I think I'd kit designs that were popular in some organizations like the classic pattern people, etc. Something has to set you apart from others out there. Kits that still appear on Ebay on a regular basis should be avoided, etc. Its a rare SIG kit that doesn't show up from time to time, etc. Just re-kitting an old design might not be the greatest idea. Many old designs had very dated, heavy construction that can be greatly simplified with more modern techniques and materials. Updating old designs might be a good idea but that means greater costs and development time. Good luck and I wish you much success!