RCU Forums - View Single Post - Xtreme F-16 1/6.75
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 01:31 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by IanD
Hi guys. Regarding the shortfall in the main/centre fuel tank size, although Carlos at CM jets has done a terrific job increasing capacity and makes really excellent tanks, a friend and I decided to utilise more of the space available over the air intake pipe.
We moulded up a fibreglass tank that fits all of the space and doesn't protrude into the engine bay. Volume of the new tank is 1.8 litres, whereas the original centre tank is 0.8 litres. The only issue is that the two lower lobes hang down either side of the inlet pipe, making it difficult to organise clunk pickups. Of several options available to cope with this, I chose to divide the tank into two with a vertical divider and not have any clunk at all. The tanks so formed, are short but high and with the outlets at the lower rear corners, they would only suck air when nearly empty and on a downline. I have the standard saddle tanks feeding the new dual centre tanks, then forward to the Intairco UAT.
The only drawback so far is that filling nearly all the space over the air inlet makes it difficult to feed all the fuel lines and servo leads forward to the nose section. However, some careful enlarging of the existing bulkhead cutouts has made room. Ground testing shows that this setup seems to feed fuel without problem, but the maiden will be the final proof.

The photos show the wooden plug trial fitted into position.
IanD
An easy solution here is to cut the tank in two and have a clunk on each side. Problem solved. Always use monster mega tank fittings from which ever manufacture you like most, JMP, BVM, etc....