RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-38 Lightning Brotherhood
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 06:17 AM
zrooster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTeeEldorado
I finally pulled the trigger on a KMP kit and I am beginning the process of deciding what mods (if any) to make as I put it together. So expect a few questions for the brotherhood as i go through this. My first question has to do with the flaps. I've seen comments (but I can't remember by who or where) that sang the praises of fowlers on a P-38. The kit has just simple hinged flaps on the center sections only. Is it worth my time and effort to design and modify for a different style of flap, fowler, slotted or otherwise?

I should add that I am a sport flyer and my interest in the flap mod is for flight and not scale.
I can't speak for everyone, but I suspect the interest in fowlers is more because they're scale/correct for the aircraft. That said, a fowler flap tends to be a more efficient lift adding device than the plain or split flaps you normally get on an RC plane. Of course, that comes at the price of weight and complexity...

Edit: I'm planning to put fowlers on my Ziroli mainly because they're correct for the plane.

Last edited by zrooster; 02-16-2018 at 06:19 AM.