RCU Forums - View Single Post - BVM Composite Bandit Build Thread. Yes from 1998.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:16 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

First, get behind the lip of the cheek cowl inlets and make sure to thin them out with a sander so the inlets slip on the cowl lips nice. Final inlet fitting and gluing comes later.

​​​​​​Then glue the cheek cowls on. I use a similar method with masking tape and alternating toothpicks on both sides of the joint, Tim Redelman taught me that one. Don't let any voids get in the glue joint or it will show up when you sand the joint out later.

After you get the cowls on and before you sand the outside of the joint, go inside and clean the joint with a drum sander. Flatten it out. Then glass in a couple of layers of 6 ounce cloth over the joint. These cowls will crack if you don't reinforce it and you fly hard. Also, it helps strengthen the joint when you block sand the outside of the joint later. It can get wavy otherwise.

Now deal with the inlets. You need a strong glue joint to the cheek cowl lips. You have to sand the inlet lips to get a good fit.

Roger has the idea with the fin bolt. You absolutely need it 100%.i even add a former in the front to bolt the fin to. In a bandit, the fin will flutter first

Last edited by mr_matt; 02-19-2018 at 11:20 AM.