RCU Forums - View Single Post - ** Digitech Central Telemetric Unit for Jeti **
Old 02-21-2018, 10:00 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Sandor and Carsten,

So nice to see you guys working together!

I know that Jeti has a lua example of a preflight take off checklist on their Github page, following proper full scale practice .. but that's all it is .. a list with manual checkboxes. A nice "applet" example but not a lot of utility. The artificial horizon display example is the most interesting by far :-)

But back to checklists... for more complex models with many flight modes and/or rate switches, flaps, tailhooks, etc it would be really nice to have a "live checklist" that as automatically as possible (meaning you don't have to ask it to run) checks configurations of all relevant switches, sliders, etc at different points in the flight. For example a pre-startup checklist, perhaps triggered by whatever the start command for a given turbine is, checks all TX switches, onboard parameters (e.g. air pressure, fuel state, battery volts) and lets you know if everything is set for start. Then perhaps when flaps are lowered to takeoff position, just before "taking the active", it runs another config check for takeoff ... then another check after gear up for cruise flight, then when gear eventually put down, a pre-landing config check, and maybe one more when flaps go to full. Could also be checking gyro gains etc. I am sure you get the idea. The pre-landing one could even, knowing the fuel state, tell you how many go-arounds you had fuel for... The just before shutdown, summarize fuel remaining, fuel used, and maybe a few interesting parameters e.g. max speed, max altitude, maH of battery used, etc.

The net here is to make sure that the increasingly complex states of our TXs and airplanes are as correct as possible, and the system "knows" when to check them vs having to be explicitly triggered. Some folks might only do startup and landing, some might do more. This is complex enough it would require some lua coding. In fact if I overcome my "Futaba inertia" and buy one of the new DS-24s, this idea would be a lot of fun to play with. Writing some lua code is a good reason to get one all by itself :-)

This brings me to my last thought .. wonder if there is an easy way to backfit a nice clean SBus install, using a PSS2018 and all the nice EMCOTEC heavy duty wires and AMP connectors, with a Jeti CB400 .. I guess you'd need some sort of EX bus to SBus conversion. I know EMCOTEC makes a Jeti version of the 2018 so that is easy enough, but I assume to get the full function of the Jeti system you would want to replace the 2018 with a CB400. I am presuming there is no way for example to do the 900MHz backup with the Jeti version of the 2018.

All my newer planes are wired this way with Sbus and it's really easy to get used to .. super clean and easy .. one connector for each wing and stab, one at the fuselage break, nice heavy wires etc. So contemplating a port of these planes to Jeti got me thinking and it seems like a bit of a pain. Maybe that is exactly why Futaba like Sbus so much :-) But I bet I'm not the only one in this situation...

Anyway,not sure this input is what you were looking for, but thought you and Carsten might find it interesting. The thinking here is inspired by many of the design choices Carsten made with his standalone telemetry system (e.g. auto-arming the low airspeed warning so it only arms when it goes above a threshold speed) instead of the blunt instrument "you can turn all alarms off" hack that we got from the Futaba guys in a recent update.

I wish you guys every success with this device!

Dave McQ