RCU Forums - View Single Post - ALPA: Repeal Section 336
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 05:18 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
The problem with full unbridled control of the government is that freedoms will suffer. Imagine 400 ft being the ceiling, and if you want to fly higher you have to apply for a waiver 6 months in advance and pay a fee.

The rules are clearly written for quad copters, but do not work well for fixed wing aircraft. Yet as traditional fixed wing modelers we are getting painted with the same broad brush and lumped in with "drones", that is what is causing so much of the problem. If you fly small park foam airplanes then you probably couldn't care less what happens to my hobby, but I need to fly above 400 ft. I also fly turbine jets, there are no provisions for turbines in the current rules by the FAA.

Just thinking out loud here, but it seems strange that it is a right to own a gun (I have them) and you take 2015 for example, 13,286 people were killed and 26,819 were injured (those figures exclude suicide, that being 62% of gun deaths). Turbine jets have not killed a single person as an example, quad copters have not killed a single person. I guess the difference is the Constitution, anything outside of that is a privilege, and the founding fathers did not know about aviation! It just makes no sense to me, all I see is crush the small guy because it's easy.

I'm not saying I have all the answers, far from it, but I do like to error on the side of caution when it comes to bureaucrats in particular. Just saying turn it over to big brother and we will all be safe, is rather foolish in my opinion. Without the AMA I believe modeling would be banned already, certainly no single modeler outside of an organization like the AMA is going to do a damn thing for modeling.
That because the AMA wanted it that way but they should lobby for the hobby as a whole not just AMA members and not try to create a condition where all modelers have to join the AMA.