RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cox 2 Channel Model
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 08:07 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi H5606,
I, the OP, was referring to the T tail Typhoon that you mentioned and that WINANS provided a video of. Because it seems to be a rarity, that had to have been the name of the model I once owned. I guess it was considered a RTF, although I don`t remember if it came with a starting kit,(fuel, battery, etc.in a box) or not. You mentioned Kyosho, and that seemed to be the name on the 2 channel transmitter that came with it. Like so many of us do, I wish I had hung on to what was left of all those really cool gifts we received as kids and young adults. Like the guy on the Hot Wheels forum who still has every single car and piece of track given to him since 1968 including the original 16 cars all in nearly mint condition.
Oh, to still have that Pinto Funny Car or that PT19 Trainer that I got in Christmases past. They can still be had on Ebay if one is willing to shell out some serious dough. Funny that I never flew that PT19 or ran that Funny Car. I guess both got sold in yard sales or ended up in the trash during one of our many moving adventures.
Many years ago when I was 30, a co-worker brought a box of assorted Cox vehicle parts that he was planning to throw away but knew I was fond of that kind of stuff.
There was almost an almost complete car in there, either a Vega or Pinto but the body was long gone. There was enough of the car left to piece together that would actually run.
I was living in an apartment on a side street where I could nail down a length of nylon string. I set it up, got the car running, and danged if it didn`t blast down that string into an old pillow that I`d found to stop it. I think there wasn`t enough smooth pavement on the street to get a full run. My girlfriend`s 5 year old son was pretty awe-struck. We ran that car over and over until that little can of Glow Fuel was gone. I seem to remember a couple other kids on the street had gathered to watch. I was very impressed with that little car. Weird how after all those years, finally getting to run one as a full grown adult.
So yeah, Ghostler, It`s a cool thing to live out your nostalgia once in a while. I`ve even managed to claw some back by getting a couple of Cox CL planes on Ebay. Less collectible models that sold for considerably less than the PT19s or Mustangs.
If there were many millions of old guys like me who wouldn't hesitate to grab a few of the .049 powered vehicles of the shelves at a store, than maybe a few limited production forays might be doable, but like WINANS says, probably not a chance.
I did pick up a couple of the Sizzler sets that Mattel reissued a few years ago at Target, so maybe there`s a small glimmer of hope after all.

Last edited by Stickslammer; 03-03-2018 at 08:28 PM.