RCU Forums - View Single Post - I'm sold on STA-BIL and Stihl HP Ultra !!
Old 03-13-2018, 06:22 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by R/C Addiction
So all my airplanes have been small gasoline engines, 26cc (RCGF), 20cc (RCGF), 20cc (DLE 20-RA) and a JBA 15cc. The one thing that I have always done is mix STA-BIL in with the fuel. Approximately three to four years ago I put my gasoline planes in storage because I sold my house and shortly thereafter our flying field was closed because the land was sold. I have run all my gasoline engines on a mix of 32:1 of fully synthetic Stihl HP Ultra and I add the STA-BIL to the gas can. I empty the tank after flying but I never run them dry. The planes were stored in a metal storage building (nose down) and later, in a wooden storage building (horizontal), neither of which were temperature controlled. So recently I have gotten to a point where I have some time to mess with my airplanes. The first engine I tried starting was the RCGF 20cc. I mixed some new fuel, cycled and charged the batteries (LiFePo4) and tried to hand start it. Had to break out the electric starter. After about 30 seconds on the starter she started up. Ran for about 30 minutes to clear everything out and runs as it did before placing in storage. The next engine I got going was the DLE 20-RA. I had installed a Bowman ring so the electric starter wasn't an option. After approximately two minutes of flipping with the choke enabled...she fired! A few more flips and the DLE was purring away. Let it run for 30 minutes also. To say I was impressed is an understatement! I may have just been lucky or the above is a good combination of juice for my engines. I haven't gotten around to the 26cc or the 15cc but I am expecting the same results. Will report back if the results are not the same.
It is quite possible that since your tanks were empty the use of an electric starter plus the freshly mixed fuel made all the difference here.

That said, I am a converted soul when it comes to using Sta Bil in ethanol blended fuel as I've had such fuel sitting for more than a year in my gas can and my engines run on it with no noticable difference to fresher fuel.

Last edited by karolh; 03-13-2018 at 06:25 AM.