RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ecx roost upgrades need help.
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 01:17 PM
esavagenoobie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Play4Fun
thanks that helped a lot! With the non water proof version would it be alright to drive through small puddles ? And how much faster would you guess the castle creations would make it go ?

Honestly, to be safe, I'd avoid any water what so ever, but if you did run though a puddle it *might* be ok.

In the days before waterproofed electronics, the popular thing to do was take the esc out of any case that it was in, and completely encapsulate the ESC in something like plasti-dip. The one you paint on was more preferred.

As for speed increase, if you're stock electronics put you in the 30mph mark, a brushless set up, on 3s with the correct gearing can get you into the 60mph zone.

But your speeds will varry based on a few things:
Tires youre running
Pinion Spur ratio
Nimh or Lipo? Lipo will provide much more speed than a nimh
Motor Kv or, RPM per volt

You can use this site to try and estimate your top speed:
HERE

Whats more important about speed though is control. Its a lot easier to get to 60mph than it is to control something at 60mph..

The Kv for motors are a two way street though, higher Kv have higher rpm limits resulting in generally higher stop speeds, but could fail if run too hard and generally heat up quicker that lower Kv motors. They also have lower torque as well. So TLDR, HIgh Kv, Low Torque, High speed, High heat.

Lower Kv motors have more torque, generally run cooler and are what most people run efficiently on 3s+ (depending on motor size)

Finding a good Kv balance for your vehicle is one challenge you have when deciding what motor to purchase, but ask yourself:
Do you want speed or reliability
Do you have a temp gun to measure temps
Are you running Nimh or Lipo?

A good all rounder for something your scale might be in the high 5000- low 6000 range.
Im waiting for a 5700Kv motor I'm planning on running on 2s in my micro.

Last edited by esavagenoobie; 03-13-2018 at 01:24 PM.