RCU Forums - View Single Post - what On Board Glow Igniter to buy
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 10:23 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Do you have documentation to prove this, or is it just your opinion ?
I have to agree with him to some degree, an Ignition on average will produce more power, and will have the Advance so the engine will start easier when the timing is Retarded, and the Spark Plus will be much less likely to go bad in flight than a G-Plug, and because of the Advance the engine will be less sensitive to different props and Nitro percentage, and I have to wonder if an Ignition would use less battery power than an On Board Igniter,,

now on the other hand I have come to understand Glow Plugs better than I ever have before, I feel that most people, in this "Glow Plug" hobby are>, what I call> "RPM Oriented", meaning that they feel that the "more RPM the better", well for the most part it's just not true (but I do have to admit that I do like flying fast !! so I too was in that thinking that more RPM is the better)..everything I have read about Glow Plugs talks about is Heat Range, Compression, Methanol/ Nitro%, Oil types and Percentage, and Engine size,, but the one thing all those write-up do not talk about is> "Prop Size",, and Prop Size does have a Flywheel Effect on an engine and that does have an effect on how the Fuel is burned in an Glow engine,, a small prop on a given engine with a given Plug and Fuel will turns faster than a larger prop so the Fuel is burned quicker with the smaller Prop so the Glow Plug can be apt to flame out quicker or more times than it would with a larger Prop, I have seen it happen many times and I have helped people by simply telling then to put a larger Prop on their plane,,, in 1 of these cases 3 hours of changing G-Plugs and tuning on a MDS 61 did not help a bit, but when I finely stuck my nose in and told the owner to change his Zinger 9x4 to a 12x6 his problem was instantly gone, and as for changing an Zinger 13x4 to an APC 15x8 on a Magnum 160 4St, 2 weeks of tuning for him was done, and later I told this guy to change his Thunder Tiger G-plugs to OS and that too made his engine run even better,

LOL I'm getting to my point LOL ,, so if some one know's how to setup their Engine well with the correct Plug Fuel and Prop size they can make a Glow Plug work for them for years, many people have, and here too you can say the Ignition System has more things to go bad on it than just a G-Plug without an On Board system..

just my 2 cents and a Nickel too

now see, new see, I'm back right now where I stared 16 years ago, I am thinking and knowing "an Ignition with my setups will produce more power than a Glow setup"

Jim,
I'm hoping I don't have to edit,, but I did

Last edited by the Wasp; 03-17-2018 at 10:32 AM.