RCU Forums - View Single Post - The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:19 AM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kenair
YA Spitfire flyers - need your help on this. This summer I noticed the wing skin "bubbling" or "pushing up" at the joint where the left wing panel meets the center section, the pics show it some. The bubbling starts 7" back from the LE and is 8" long and is about 1/8" to 3/16" wide.. I can feel a hint of flex ever so slightly when I hold down the center section and try lift the left wing panel up and down. The wing panel were glued to gether with 30 min. epoxy, finish is 3/4 oz glass goth with Zpoxy, painted with latex. I have not taked on the left "radiator" to see if they are any signs of flex movement on the wing skin on the bottom of the joint, before and aft of the radiator there is no sign of skin distortion. The right wing joint shows no issues.

I did use a strip of 2 oz glass cloth on the joints on the bottom - can't remember what I did tot he top of the joint.

I have also done the additional front plywood brace mod.

Your opinions please?

cheers - ken
Iam wondering is this flex is normal or am I headed to a left wing fold up sittuation. The model first flew in August 2012 si I estimate ~ 100 flight on it.

Has anyone else seen this skin distortion on a wing joint on their YA Sptifre wing?
Thank-you for your advice on the wing joint bubbles. I took off the rad scoops and glued in a 1/4" plywood dihederal brace (weighed 3 oz) , using polyurethane glue. I covered the brace with electrical tape, wax paper and flat weights for 36 hours, the polyu glue turned out good
. I'll fill it , sand it smooth and epoxy in a 2 or 4oz cloth strip over the brace and sand it smooth & paint.
cheers - ken

Last edited by kenair; 03-21-2018 at 07:23 AM.