RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jerry Bates P-51B Build "Hell Yes Let's Go!!!"
Old 03-27-2018, 02:00 AM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got some time to work on mine, here are pics. All airframe construction is finished, Control surfaces are built and finish sanded ready for covering, Horizontal stab glassed and fitted, painted silver as is the fulll scale BettyJane. The DA 60 mounting is done and all internal fuse bulkheads carboned in place.

After building the wing I discovered an error in the wing root rib's location, the leading edge is about 1/4 inch to the right, too late to correct. The wing was built on the plans, so the error must be in the original plan's drawings. Irritating but I compensated during the wing mounting to the fuse, then sanded to fit. It all measures square so it is a minor beef. The glass fuse is a precision fit at the wing saddles, better than all of the ARFs I have owned so far. The vertical and horizontal stabs align square to the wing. I reinforced a lot of the parts installed already.

Since the wing will be glassed I didn't add anything to it except make the entire gear installation removable for future repairs. (bad landings, I ain't perfect). The entire retract control system is in the gear wells, only the tail gear is in the fuse with its own air valve and servo. It has two large air bottles in the fuse, only one air line to connect the wing. I used a 5 servo connector to connect the wing to the fuse radio, one connector to deal with at the field. As soon as I get this one flying I will dump the Top flights and all the parts I have on hand for them and order another JB Mustang, when I have the second plane flying I will dump the H9 Mustang too.

Any one building the glass fuse version should buy the compete wood kit, not the glass wood kit, which lacks a lot of fuse parts needed for the glass fuse. I am having to make fuse parts off the plans. I plan to have this plane flying during the summer.