RCU Forums - View Single Post - C & H ignitions is closed
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 06:52 PM
CH Ignitions
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys...with a heavy heart I have to tell you that the father of the famous CH Ignition; Bill Carpenter, a golden Icon of this RC Hobby, passed away on 3/27/2018 at the age of 83 Y/O.
I have so many mixed emotions that I can not even realize that he is gone, that the father of the most successful CDI in the world is now a name on the past.
He fist open the business some time in 1980 ...he could not remember exactly and he was told that that CDI will never sale and yet tens of thousands of CH Ignitions went around the world,
and many still working after 20+ years. Was so good and was copied in Canada, Europe and China with slight modifications or 1:1.
I remember that he was afraid that the Japanese will come out with a CDI and compete with his CDI but did not happen. CH supplied CDI's to all USA /Canada RC engine manufactures .
At first they were big and bulky I think 4x2x2 I think and as time progresses he told me that his twin brother helped him to perfect it and make it smaller, and smaller.
The size of the CDI was dictated at first by the ignition coil size. That was always a hassle to find , they were USA made, Japan, South Korea ,
Are so many things that him and I talked over the several things after I reopen the CH back in 2012; not knowing a darn thing abut CDI's...and I learn from mistakes
from internet and friends but most I learn from Bill.
CH will live and I will keep making the USA CH original Bill Carpenter CDI. Will be on demand and build by order only as a tribute to Bill.
With this unfortunate event I will like all of you to take a moment think at Bill Carpenter that was a good father, husband and for all of us in this RC Hobby the father of the CDI.

Here is a quote from a fried of Bill that I do not know if it can be said any better.
Adrian Ciulei

" Dear Heavenly Father, please cover the Bill Carpenter family with Your loving and protective arms today. Let them all feel Your presence in all that they go through today. In Jesus name, AMEN."
By: Tanimoto Grant