RCU Forums - View Single Post - Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Tank Control Board
Old 03-30-2018, 08:10 AM
Maccrage

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by outofmydepth
There will be always those who love plug and play and those that like greater involvement, just because you like one (or the other) does not demean either, it's just a choice! I too have just bought my first r/c tank and plunged in the deep end with a full metal 1/8th metalwork's Tiger (weighing 70kg) never having had anything to do with radio controlled models (or models of any sort), but it is the introduction of this board that interests me so much because there is so much to learn and so many parameters, and unusually it's in the open arena. I see it as a challenge and one with rewards (an interesting tank hopefully), and this kind of development makes the model hobby universe very expansive (and hence interesting). I just hope a sound card is forthcoming (or more choice) because it is an essential ingredient. Without this I worry a little for its future although I will seek out a second hand Bendini board for the time being (not sure if they ever become available on the used market?). Upshot is I have ordered an OP board now and I am looking forward to getting stuck in...........
I'm like you. Infact, your screen name is how I feel about this sometimes. But I also jumped right in. I'm confident on the building side, but the electronics and rc part is all new. I have already decided the stock electronics are not enough. I don't even battle. I'd like to sometime, but for me, they're more rc scale models. This time last year, I didn't know about these. Now I have a dozen rtr tanks, and a pile of Tamiya kits. And an IBU2, 2 El Mods, and I'm going to get a Clark, well, technically I already have 2, but they came in my Mato metal TDs, so I'm not counting them. I'm probably going to get one of these as well. All my tanks are IR, except the first couple. As soon as I found out the IR tanks had recoil, I switched. I would prefer p&p, but learning about the electronics side, instead of just pluging in a preconfigured board is something I'm looking forward to.