RCU Forums - View Single Post - F-8E crusader.
Thread: F-8E crusader.
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 12:49 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Just for info, the weight is dry, balanced, ready to fly with kevlar tanks.
Crusader prototype #4, which is featured in all our videos and flies like a dream, is at 15.5 kgs dry.

We also have an option for those who want to enter the Jet World Masters with the plane under 13.5 kgs dry, where we use collapsible plasma tanks instead of kevlar tanks, and no air trap.
The plane then gets down to 13 kgs dry, ready to fly. Obvisouly, this is not allowed in the USA but can be very easily swapped if one wants to make the jump and enter the JWM one day...

I spent a considerable amount of time to optimize the airframe and drop down the weight without compromising strength. This means more carbon fiber in the airframe.
I always tell my technicians that the inside of the airfame should look like the inside of a Ferrari. People who spent that kind of money in a model deserve the right to get the very best inside out.
This is why I implemented stringent procedures. Dry fabric kits are machine cut. Bulkheads, spars and ribs are CNC cut. All parts are inspected for layup presentation and reinforcements compliances. All internals are audited before gluing and a maximum glue joint clearance of 0.5 mm is allowed.

All these reports are showed online to the customer via our online progress report system, which is MIL-Q-9858 compliant.