RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nomad
Thread: Nomad
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 03:47 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
A small diesel like those would be a nice ticket for it, Chris. If I were to do one, I'd probably go electric, inasmuch as that might grate some to an extent. Reason for electric is that power can be completely shut off so it can thermal, then power back on to seek another thermal. However since diesel is so economical, you'd probably have a real decent time with it.
Indeed-besides its about time some of my little jewels actually started earning their keep-and I have plenty to choose from. The only issue in this case is how much prop clearance there is-the wee elfin runs nicely on a 5-1/4x3 Topflite-or the DC equivalent (the notorious 5-1/4x3-1/2) but the Schlosser is better on a 6x3 or 6x4-which might be a bit tight for clearance on the engine pod.....

...notorious? Well Hefin Davies toured the US in the late 50s visiting some of the key manufacturers-such as Cox etc looking at their production methods. This was just before the UK 1/2A revolution took place-in late 59-which saw four new indigenous British glow 049s appear on the market in quick succession-one of which was the long lived but otherwise unspectacular DC Bantam-which survived all through the 60s till 1971 when it was replaced by the much better DC Wasp. ...and the other better competition-such as the AM049 and KK Cobra 049 fell by the wayside after only a couple of years.....the secret to the Bantam-gutless wonder than it was, was using DC's 5-1/4x3-1/2 prop-which seems to be a direct copy of the Topflite 5-1/4x3 nylon....possibly even made under license from topflite-who knows.....but it sounded great on the Bantam-though in practice was so soft and flexible it washed out to about zero pitch and made the Bantam look-and sound-good-the Bantam was extremely low priced when it entered the market and sold for a lower price than even Cox could manage in the UK. It was my first ever new engine-I got it as an Xmas present from my mother in 1970-and still have it. About the same power as an OK Cub-but a lot less fussy to handle-and keeps running when you launch the model-unlike a lot of Cubs!

..end of anecdote!

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Over the years I've found it to be a very good load for the very small diesels such as the Bambi, Elfin 0.25, ED Baby 0.25 etc.

Last edited by ffkiwi; 04-16-2018 at 03:50 PM.