RCU Forums - View Single Post - Spektrum Powersafe receiver and Kingtech Telemetry
Old 04-21-2018, 05:13 PM
rpellicciotti

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kingtech telemetry with new Spektrum Powersafe receiver

Originally Posted by opjose
Please detail it.

I just installed an AR 20 channel with Kingtech Telemetry into a sport jet and ran across the same problem!
Sorry to take a bit to respond, I am just back from Mississippi Afterburner where I also had a chance to discuss this with Barry from Kingtech. Here is the deal:

The new powersafe receivers do not supply power to the servos until after the receiver has initialized which includes starting up the internal telemetry unit. The Kingtech ECU does not power up or send signals to the telemetry unit until it sees a voltage from the receiver on the throttle channel. So, since the ecu/telemetry unit is not alive when the receiver/telemetry unit initializes, it never recognizes the engine telemetry.

Solution:
There are two ways to solve the problem. One is quick and dirty and the other requires a little custom wiring.

Quick and dirty: Unplug the throttle lead from the ECU and plug a servo "Y" connector in its place. On one leg of the "Y" plug in the lead coming from the throttle channel (that was previously plugged into the ECU). Leave the other leg of the "Y" open and accessible. When you get ready to start your airplane, make sure your ECU battery is plugged in, make sure your receiver batteries are connected but the receiver is "OFF". Now, plug an extra receiver battery (make sure it is the same voltage as your batteries you run on your powersafe receiver) into the open "Y" connection on the throttle port of the ECU. When you do this, the ECU should wake up and the Kingtech telemetry module should come alive. Now switch on your receiver and let it initialize. Since the ECU/Kingtech telemetry was already alive, it should be recognized by the receiver. You may have to auto-config your telemetry the first time you do it. Once your engine telemetry is showing up, unplug the extra battery from the "Y" and all should be well. Note you will have to plug in this extra battery each time you start up your airplane then unplug it when the receiver is initialized and running.

Custom wiring method: If you build some extensions between where your receiver batteries are located and where the receiver is, you can simply include a tap off of one end or the other of one extension. This tap would run through a normally open push button switch and on to the "Y" plugged into the ECU throttle channel. This would eliminate the extra battery. The power up sequence would be to depress the pushbutton, wait for the ECU/telemetry to power up, switch on the receiver, then release the push button.

I hope this helps. Doing it this way is working fine for us here at AvantiJet.com If you need additional info, send me a PM and I'll be glad to help.

Rick Pellicciotti
Avanti Jet.com