RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rudder angle and roll coupling
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 11:17 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by r ward
"disposition of the rudder",.....hhhmmmm,....so the disposition of a rudder that is deflecting air to the right and at the same time letting that deflected air vector up will not push the tail down and raise the nose around the CG ?. I dunno ,...if you ask me that defies physics in every sense of the definition of "defy". I've studied, built and sailed on 1/4 million dollar sailboats and the same principles of rudder deflection apply to both,...and..... it is known that the inclination of the rudder hinge line of a sail boat will influence the height of a sailboat's bow during a jibe, or on a tack, for that matter,.....it is what the rudder hinge line is inclined (or swept) for,....it gets the bow up to reduce wetted surface and allows the boat to to be redirected easier because there is less hull in the water now water is of course much more resistant and therefore it's effect is more clearly seen, but the laws of physics don't change because of the medium being affected.
First off sorry that it looks like I edited your post which is quoted above. I hit the button that only I can see as a moderator and ended up adding the text below to your post. In removing my comment it shows as my having edited your post. I don't think I changed any of your original content. If I did I apologize.

Back on topic...... Technically you are 110% right. There is some coupling. But on our airplanes the slight pitch up from an angle rudder hinge line is very small in relation to the tendency for the model's nose to drop into a spiral dive when in a turn. So while the intention of the swept back hinge line was to aid in reducing the nose dive in reality there's little or no noticeable effect. So much so that if one were to fly identical models other than a vertical vs 30° swept back hinge line it's doubtful if they would notice any difference in handling in the amount and timing of the coordination of the elevator to make the turns.