RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rudder angle and roll coupling
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 04:57 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Ah, sorry then. I misunderstood the tone of your post.

Reviewing this thread I do recall way back when pulse rudder was popular and Galloping Ghost was a close cousin I read a write up where someone set up a "rudder only" model with an extreme angled hinge line. The idea was to use the pulsing to produce some up and down control in the same way as Galloping Ghost did but without the mechanical mixing. The outcome was that while there was SOME elevator ability with the change in pulse width that it was only just enough to deal with relatively shallow turns.

And consider too that with pulse setups the controls move pretty much to full travel a number of times per second. And even that wasn't enough to create a strong enough effect just from the rudder movement with the swept angle. So for whatever reason while it's there it's a rather weak effect compared to the yaw that the rudder can produce.

I wonder if it's because from the pitch standpoint the "surface" area trying to lift the nose has a very short aspect ratio? It's not like the rudder is a strongly spanwise component like a V tail would be.