RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig 1/6th J3 Cub
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 04:48 AM
tubig

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before putting the white down, the red sunburst pattern was roughly sketched out on both the wing and fuselage (only the wing is shown). The light pencil marks serve a two-fold purpose (for me). First, in an effort to conserve weight, I didn't want to completely fill in white in the areas that were to later be painted red as that was really not needed. (Also, I was not able to get more white paint in my last trip to Singapore a few days ago because the store was closed for the week so I need to conserve my meager paint resources....as it turns out a single 200ml bottle was enough for the wing/fuselage) Secondly, the light pencil marks help me to determine how much paint to put down. By first covering the marks where I can no longer see them and then filling in the area between, I keep from laying down too much paint which has been a persistent problem in my modeling since I was much younger.

Paper patterns were used to mark out the sunburst. The patterns were flipped for the other half.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-16_060142_m_SigJ3_261.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	2260489

The wing bottom is not shown as it was done about a week ago. It is just a solid white as I thought the contrast between solid color on the bottom and the sunburst on the top would be a good contrast for flying in gray Taiwan skies.

The wing top. Again, Vallejo Premium paint is being used. As can be seen, there is not much difference between the primer gray and the white. As a matter of fact, the white is not all that bright. Consequently, there was no black added to darken the white for scale effects. After the red is added, if it is too bright a couple of drops of black will be added to the clear coat for darkening.

Name:	2018-05-16_061622_m_Sigj3_264.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	2260490

And fuselage.

Name:	2018-05-16_061426_m_SigJ3_262.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	2260491

I must say, this Vallejo Premium paint is very good. It shoots very easily from both an airbrush and a mini-paint gun with no reducing required. Also, it flows very nicely. There were a couple of spots that looked like there would be some fish-eye developing but the paint just flowed out to a nice, smooth finish. imho, the sheen is perfect for a warbird. Since this is a civilian model, I will most likely have to spray a thin gloss coat when done to create more of a shine.