RCU Forums - View Single Post - Maj. Woody's Ultra Flash
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 01:36 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MaJ. Woody

My aggressor Flash uses JR 8411 servos with JR Heavy Duty Servo Arms. The Fly Navy Flash uses Futaba 9156 Servos with Aluminum Servo Arms. The included Clevises were too sloppy for the thinner Futaba arms and although I could have shimmed them, I chose to use Sullivan 4-40 Golden Clevises. In order to use those, I had to use 4-40 rod instead of the included 3mm Rod. What I did was use Sullivan Stainless Steel 4-40 rod with KS Brass tube Silver soldered over the top. The 4-40 rod was threaded into the plastic ball link and then removed, coated with Epoxy, the ball link hole filled with epoxy and then screwed back together. Then whole assembly is rock solid. My only concern is that the hole in the ball link was a bit large for the 4-40 rod when you consider the pilot hole for a 4-40 thread should be made with a #43 drill. I have performed multiple testes to pull the 4-40 rod out of the ball link and I cant. I have even began to deform the metal ball link trying. The final painted product has a nice finished look.
I finally got my test pushrod to fail. The hole in the CARF ball link is just too big for the 4-40 rod. I am going to switch out the CARF ball links for Dubro Monster Links. This will require maching the right sized stand offs and shiming the 4-40 bolt where is passes throgh the 3mm holes in the control horns. Finally I will need to paint the new ball links. I am guessing I have about 10 or so hours woth of work to retro fit all the ball links. At least I dont need to redo all the pushrods!