RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can't figure this out.
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 06:18 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I normally dislike the long torsion rod through the fuselage and find those problematic as being to spongy unless excessively large diameter rod is used.

Done many conversions and also dislike the the tailwheel on a removeable bottom plate wth an internal bellcrank technique. Those are more difficult to build and make adjustments difficult both in build stage as well as while at the field.

I much prefer for most airplanes the double pushrod technique. Only a little more work but far more positive ground steering. Remember to try to keep the rod as straight as possible and make a new fuse outlet hole wherever needed for the best straight runs (no bending) as well as ease of installation.

Also on your conversion remember to make sure after conversion that you achieve the same CG as what it flew best at before conversion. In other words don,t make the mistake of being temped to move the cg a bit if the airplane wants to nose over while taxing That is always related to main gear geometry and a function of where you choose to position the fore and aft location of the main gear.

In regards to that all important choice you must make with any tricycle to conventional gear conversion. If you position the main gear footprint too far aft toward the CG landing will be very easy but also tend to noseover during taxi. If you position the main gear footprint too far forward there will be no nose over tendencies but the airplane will tend to crow hop and become bouncy during landing.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 06-15-2018 at 06:27 AM.