RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skyshark Dauntless Build
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 02:50 PM
chistech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She’s a beauty Tom. There’s so much stuff that gets in the way as you get older! I thought it was supposed to become less but things that you work all your life for like more vacation time accrued turns into more vacation time taken as just one example. It’s like, OK, you’ve got the time, now you need to find place to go and use up that time. Now I know there’s lots of people who would never consider the vacation thing a problem or hassle( and I know I’m lucky to even be able to take a vacation) but it seems when you’re older and can go nicer places, it’s no longer as easy as hooking up a camp trailer and going a couple hours away for the weekend. You want to see this or go to different places and everything now has to be coordinated and all that takes a ton of time.
This is why I’m scaling back other hobbies have that consume TONS of my time. Still going to be involved with the antique cars but will spend more time driving and showing the Olds than tearing others apart and restoring them. I’ve already turned down half a dozen cars because people have seen when I’m working on other people’s cars, I get a full restoration done in about 12-15 months where most others take 3-5 years for the same type of cars. Some owners are old and figure they don’t have those years left to waste. But, because I’m a one man show/ hobbyist restor, it’s turned into a huge amount of work for me to keep my time frames. The engine and paint shops alway put me back months on a restoration and have really soured me some. If I could get a motor or body back in a 3 month time frame I wouldn’t be so soured. I often wait 6-9 months on a motor and about the same on painting. I waste more time visiting and trying to coerce them to just get the work done. It’s mainly this reason why I’m stepping back to relax and build/fly again.