RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/4 Scale Pfalz DIIIa
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 07:37 PM
mgnostic

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

A little more progress. Lots and lots of sanding and filling later and then some more sanding the wing fillets are sowing progress and the fuselage is fairly smooth. This is where I committed a heresy. I glassed the fuselage with .75 oz glass and Kwik Poly. there is a method to this madness though. The Kwik Poly hardens and consolidates the relatively soft balsa planking. It is quite a lot lighter than trying to replicate the wicklerumpf fuselage construction. It sands easily and provides a relatively smooth surface. Think of it as glass reinforced primer. The actual scale fabric covering will go on over the Kwik Poly. The Pfalz doesn't have all that much in the way of surface detail on the fuselage as compared to other planes of the era. Compared to an SE5a it is downright bland. There will be strut mounting points, cockpit steps, and access doors but they all go onto the surface of the fuselage. There will be a cockpit coaming and I need to get a set of machine guns on order. I have not yet cut out the hatch for the guns. It's going to be important to do a pretty good job on the radiator and dummy engine since they will contribute a lot of the detail on the aircraft.