RCU Forums - View Single Post - LOCKHEED P-38J “LIGHTNING”. A giant 1/4 scale scratch built model
Old 07-09-2018, 02:51 AM
fbielsa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I chose the type of engine, unfortunately the existing single-cylinder 4-stroke offer fell short of power, while that of the two-cylinder in-line (the boxer protrude under the cowl) was excessive.

In addition, due to the cooling problem that the rear cylinder of the latter use to produce and its obligatory inverted positioning, they did not seem appropriate for such a critical twin engine. There is no need to overpower an airplane like this one, as it would be disastrous if one of them stops.

Another aspect that I valued was the use of engines of counter rotation, for that of the fidelity with the original; Although it is known that they do not provide real benefits in the maneuverability and stability of the rc-models, I really underestimated them because of the difficulty of finding three-blade inverted propellers so large that they guarantee the same performance in both engines.

So, I finally decided on two simple single-cylinder 2-stroke normal turn that I acquired throughout the construction.

As with the landing gear, I did not succeed in the initial choice of the brand of engines, this time for pledging to acquire them to EVO, a Spanish manufacturer by that time located in Granada and now disappeared. With the hope of endowing my plane with two engines "made in Spain", the only thing I got in return were false promises and a lot of dislikes, so I had to opt, fortunately, for another brand, this time of recognized prestige and seriousness in service.

Last edited by fbielsa; 07-09-2018 at 03:18 AM.