RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newbie RG65 Help Please
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 12:29 PM
Realist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie RG65 Help Please

Hi folks

I want to buy a racing yacht in the RG65 class. I'm a total newbie to RC yachting but I have a local club which I intend to join and sail with.

I have Googled the net for hours looking for RG65 boats and am finding the choices extremely limiting.

As far as I can see, at the affordable and realistic end, there is the DragonForce65 V6 of which there are many being sailed. A decent boat but as I understand, it's never going to win any serious race. Kits for the DF cost around £160 without radio gear.

Aside from that I can not find much else that comes complete as a kit other than perhaps the German Graupner 65. Not sure if that is a decent yacht or not. Would appreciate any views on that and it's performance vs DF65's.

Apart from the above 2 yachts there seems nothing unless I am willing to pay huge amounts for just the hulls of boats like the FONIX or ARGON which are £400-£500 without any rigs. Aussies have one at GoSpectre.com but again an absolute fortune just for the hulls.

Am I missing something here? It feels like a guy looking to buy a car and finding that the choice is limited to either an affordable Audi A4 otherwise it's a Ferrari or Lambourgini !

The RG65 class has been going for quite some time so why aren't there loads of complete racing RG65 kits out there covering the whole range?

Any ideas welcomed here because at the moment I feel like I am being forced down the DF route.

Cheers