RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 05:40 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
OK Steve that pretty much explains all. Hope you're feeling fine. I don't get nearly any kind of time like that on an engine. What you describe is pretty intense. But from what you tested, what did you learn? Can you disclose what you did learn from your testing? Like what are the things that help an engine prolong its life? I'm running a DLE 35ra on my GP GSS and if I get 4 flights an outing, I'm doing pretty good. Thanks for sharing.

Tom Nied, Carol Stream, Illinois
I liked the Stihl Ultra 2-Cycle engine oil. No particular reason. I didn't do enough testing on different oils to determine which oil was best. I only used high quality oil, so there may not be a huge amount of difference between them. The engine bearings seemed to fail at about the same number of hours regardless of the oil used. I never tested Amsoil, or any ratio less than 30:1.

The only thing I really learned is that when you hear a clicking sound when rocking the prop back and forth, or if you feel a roughness when turning the prop over slowly, your bearings are bad. If you keep running your engine until the bearing race breaks apart, your engine will not be worth repairing.