RCU Forums - View Single Post - Recommended twin engine trainer???
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 08:50 AM
abrown24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Collins
Good advice on engines above. Absolutely DO NOT TRUST engines that already have a bad reputation for unreliability!

However, having owned and flown the Hangar 9 B-25 which is slightly smaller, I am going to disagree with much of what has been said so far. I never had any other twin before the B-25 and found it neither hard to fly or hard to land. Certainly not more so than any other plane. What I call "pucker factor" is high with a B-25 but as soon as the pilot loosens up and realizes it isn't hard to fly or land that's when the enjoyment begins. I don't think a twin "trainer" will do anything to prepare you for the B-25 anymore than flying a cub prepares you for flying a P-40 for example. Just make sure your abilities are up to the task. I would recommend waiting a while longer than you have stated and be 100% sure of your landing skill.

I will say that, my B-25 being electric powered, I did not have the "engine out" concern that piston powered models have so if you stay with that type engine heed the previous advice concerning rudder use.
thx much Steve. Think I’ll seriously consider switching out the RCGFs. Would prefer To bite the bullet on the front end and buy two new truly trustworthy engines Than suffer the higher certainty of an engine out because of a poor quality engine versus some other issue with the engine.

And, As anxious as I will be to fly the plane in six months or so, I am truly likely going to take your advice and wait 12 months.

Alex