RCU Forums - View Single Post - Northeast Aerodynamics Sport-Air Build
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 12:35 PM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Hinge blocking in place.

I find using aluminum square tubing purchased at local hardware stores very useful during clamping.

To prevent the square tubing from slipping on the Balsa surface I installed 220 grit sandpaper to one side of the aluminum.

I couldn't build without my clamps and wood blocks!

Blocking was fitted and glued to five designated trailing edge bay areas which will give additional holding power to the 1/8"Robart Steel Hinge Points that I plan on using for the ailerons. In my opinion, these hinges are superior to most other hinge types.

Having carefully sanded all of the wing ribs so they are uniform is now paying its dividends. Applying the leading edge to the front of the ribs fit perfectly. As you can see I use aluminum square stock which I keep in different lengths as well as aluminum angle stock to aid in keeping everything straight during the clamping process...

Building Tip: Don't try to install your Spars, Leading Edge stock , Sheeting, etc. to fit exactly, rather let them run proud off the edges. It is much easier sand them all at one time after the wing is completed.

Last edited by VincentJ; 08-01-2018 at 12:45 PM.