RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nicad versus NiMh for 4.8 volt RC exl ignition
Old 08-05-2018, 08:02 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer
Nicads generally tolerate quick charging better than Nimh batteries. I have witnessed lots of problems with false peaking Nimh batteries which often lead to an unexpected loss of power. Nicads also tolerate higher discharge rates than Nimh and although both self discharge, Nimh batteries seem to do so at a much higher rate.

Nicads seem to have a longer lifespan, Nimh batteries generally last only a couple of years while nicads will remain serviceable for much longer.

Having said all of that, for a given capacity Nimh batteries will weigh 1/2 as much. Nimh batteries are easier to find as the market has turned away from Nicad technology, particularly in certain sizes.
this is what I have learned about Nihm batteries as well. that said, I have recently bought all new Nicads for my r/c stuff, not knowing the newer technologies from being away from r/c for quite some time. given the known charging advantages over NiCads , as my NiCads get ready for replacement this time around I will probably go to the Nihms. I think the friendlier charging features are the most important aspect of the Nihm vs.NiCad issue and far outweigh the longer life NiCads give you.