RCU Forums - View Single Post - MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 10:56 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxam
To all who are interested in the proper oil to use in the Moki's. I spoke with Julian and he has observed that a high percentage of repairs where RedLine was used showed galling and scuffing in the crankshaft / master rod area. He was willing to talk and carefully explain the issue. I looked back in my "oil history" and I was using Amsoil Interceptor. I have ordered the Dominator version. Even though my engines seem to be perfect I decided to make the switch.

Larry Fitch; The OS feeler gauges for their 4 strokes work quite well on the Moki valves. Also look back in the not too old history on this thread for the information you need on the fuel pump. -Tom
I'm with Tom (and others) on the oil conundrum... I have used Red Line 40:1 in all my gassers, two and four stroke (with the Saito exception of 20:1), and have never had an obvious problem. Having just purchased a new Moki 180, I was advised (warned) by Goetz Vogelsang that EVERY Moki they have received back for internal damage was running Red Line. Apparently, Red Line is fantastic for two strokes, but not so much for four strokes where you must have a certain amount of un-burned oil making its way up to the valve train. Goetz recommended Amsoil Dominator and I immediately purchased 6 quarts to run in ALL my gassers. When talking about the life of a $4000+ engine, it simply isn't worth taking chances, especially when the guy who will warranty the engine makes his oil recommendation crystal clear. There are other factors, like prop, tuning, cooling/baffling, that can have an equally profound effect on engine life. Red Line has been a great oil, but I'm not taking any chances.