RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need to start from new. After 15 years AWOL
Old 08-20-2018, 05:57 PM
Bocajuniors55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Appowner
Another vote for Spektrum, Futaba and Hitec. I'd list the features you'd like to have and then go shopping from those 3. And while my TX/RX are Spektrum, I use Futaba and Hitec servos exclusively.

One thing you'll notice is no longer do you have to plan your radio installation like we use to. Considering servo direction and such for the controls. Just put it in and make all your adjustments from the transmitter. I find however that much of the "programming" capability on a new radio is wasted on me. I continue to build and fly as if I had an old, basic radio with dual rates and reverse switches as the main features. Alas, no one makes such a radio anymore.

Now, as to your old radios. What do you have and what do you want for them?
i just jumped online today and got new batteries for my Tx and Rx with Futaba charger for $50. I decided I want to get back up in the air with the equipment I have. Everything was stored inside the house all these years so I don't anticipate any other problems other than old batteries. Hopefully.

Now to find the old school Futaba DIN trainer cord!

Originally Posted by Gyrodog

Boca......

I’ll try and address each question. Others may correct my response which will flush out more information.

1) Futaba using FAAST and FHSS. Each of these shifts rapidly between many frequencies in the 2.4 gHZ spectrum. FAAST I believe shifts between a pre-established list of these frequencies and FHSS uses a “random” sequence that hops around. This really pseudo random sequence avoids interference by not relying on fixed frequencies and shifting rapidly so that any bad “frequency” is used only for milliseconds or less. FAAST uses error correction to insure bad data is not passed from a frequency and then in addition skips over any frequency where there is traffic (Futaba calls this “pre-vision”). FHSS is said to be cheaper since less processing is required to just hop between frequencies. Both are said to be “full” range and like other 2.4 systems don’t require the traditional frequency management at the flying field to preclude interference from multiple models. Most current 2.4 systems clam similar features with the result that loss of link due to interference is not likely, or nearly impossible unless there is a very unusual RF source nearby (see drone “guns” for example). As far a reliability, the others comments regarding the name brands seem right. Compared to radios of even 10 years ago, the electronics is so highly intergrated that the parts counts are way down (like all electronics). I’ve seen some Tactic brand radios at the field that seem well built. FrSky has developed a following and I see where they have established a US service center. One thing holding me back on FrSky is the OpenTx software in terms of reliability and setup work load. MotionRC even provides a caution to this end. My Futaba gear (2 Tx’s, 9 Rx’s and 20 or so servos) has been bullet proof over the last 10 years. Bind and fly just means the the plane comes with a particular brand of Rx installed, so you just Bind to your Tx and fly. ‘Binding” is the process that allows the RX to learn the Digital ID of your individual TX. Some systems also allow a binding of sorts to each RX/model you fly so you won’t accidentally fly with the wrong model selected on your transmitter. I’ve made this mistake twice in the last tens years. oops!

2) A relatively new thing in buddy boxing is wireless, and also the ability to master/slave between two fully functional Txs. I still use the wires and a dumb buddy box.

3) EDF= Electric Ducked Fan? Any 6+ channel system would fly these. At your price point I think you can find something from 8-12 channels however for your “master” tx.

Hope me this helps.
WOW. I learned a LOT from your post. Thank you. I remember the days I used to read RC magazines-days before forums. I used to learn a lot from those.

I'm leaning towards a Spektrum 9X Black Edition as my next radio once I dust the rust off and plan on my next RC Model.