RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need to start from new. After 15 years AWOL
Old 08-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocajuniors55
The only thing right now that worries me about several reviews is people losing their models with some Spektrum receiver issues? I assume these problems are rare and isolated?
As I mentioned above, you'll see complaints about Spektrum "problems" as they are by far the most popular radio so there will be more folks having issues. The most prominent one is the "brownout" issue which was, and still is, user caused. For many years guys had used electrical setups that were not adequate for the model. With 72MHz systems, if the rx shut down due to loss of power from high loads on the battery, when the load was removed the rx would come back on immediately. I started with 72MHz and I can still remember all the hollering about "I GOT HIT!" when a momentary loss of control was experienced. After getting into the 2.4GHz radios which are more computer than they are radio, I realized that probably 90% of the "I got hit" stuff was not a case of radio interference from another tx, but power brownouts. Spektrum was the first to really introduce 2.4GHz in Park Flyers. Since the tx's and rx's have to talk to each other, it would take a bit of time say 5 or so seconds, for the tx to pick two channels and link up with the rx using those two channels. Now since it's more computer than radio, it is much more sensitive to low voltage which can be caused by any number of things including servo draw, corroded connections etc. So it will shut down and then it took the 5 seconds or so for it to boot up and reconnect with the rx.

Spektrum came out with a fix that would allow the tx/rx to reconnect immediately if it shut down due to a power loss; problem solved right? Wrong.....

People STILL do not pay enough attention to the power requirements of their models. The problem was initially and to some extent, still is electric powered stuff with cheapo ESC's that cannot provide enough power for the radio systems. The BEC's (Battery Eliminator Circuit) which started out and the less expensive ones still do, use linear voltage regulators which are extremely susceptible to power loss issues due to the way they work. Now the good stuff uses switching regulators but that discussion can get off into the weeds. Suffice to say that a power problem can happen with ANY 2.4GHz radio setup.

They also used an RF format to begin with that when the radios got more popular, it was possible to see some lock out issues with larger numbers of models in the air at the same time, like more than 50. It was/is known as DSM2 and Spektrum changed the format to one that rolls among the available channels like most of the other systems, it's called DSMX.

A DX9 is a most excellent tx in that price range....

Last edited by Zeeb; 08-21-2018 at 09:15 AM.