RCU Forums - View Single Post - Twitching Servos
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 07:01 AM
Mini Pistons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Common occurrence due to a variety of things. Only a couple of which are due to bad equipment. First of all, where are you experiencing this? In your work room? Basement, spare room or garage? Or at the flying field?

I'm guessing you bought the radio used since it's an older 72 MHz system. Might want to send it in to be serviced and checked out. How old are the batteries? Chattering servos will drain the Rx battery but 10-15 minutes suggests that battery has issues.

One thing that will cause this is being in an enclosed room. Basically the Tx signal bounces off the walls and dozens of signal reflections hit the Rx all at once. It's called swamping the Rx. The same thing can happen out doors if the batteries are fresh and the Tx is too close to the Rx. And by too close I've seen this happen out to 6-7 feet separation.

First test. Disconnect the CS-67 servo and see what happens. Sometimes different servos simply will not play nice together.
Second test. With fresh batteries take it outside and turn everything on. If it twitches, start walking away with the Tx and see how far away you are when the twitching stops. Shouldn't be too far.

Last test. Again outside, discharge the batteries a little. Turn things on and just let them sit for a while. Then see how things are. You should notice you can have the Tx and Rx closer without the twitching.

I did some research on the servos. Here's some specs:
JR - NES-537 Torque:4.8V: 40.00 oz-in (2.88 kg-cm) 6.0V: 49.00 oz-in (3.53 kg-cm)

Hobbico CS-67 Torque:4.8V: 43.00 oz-in (3.10 kg-cm) 6.0V: 52.00 oz-in (3.74 kg-cm)

These are old school analog servos. Nothing wrong with that but they could simply be past their time and need replacing.
My next question is how big is the model? Wing span and approx weight. And did these servos come with it? My concern is at the very least these servos may need some new gears and a pot cleaning. Both can be done by you or you can pay someone to do it. Worse case they may simply be worn out.

Alternative would be to simply replace the servos. Here's a compatible one of similar design and a bit more power. At $13 each they'd be a good price. And by the time you purchased new gears and messed with learning how to clean the pots and such, buying new would be far easier and probably better. But I'd like to know more about the plane itself before sending you off to buy new servos. Just in case a different or more powerful servo is called for.

Wingspan: 58”
Weight: ?? Approx. 5 + lbs.
I am experiencing the issue outside. I have tried seperating the transmitter & receiver at various distances with issue still existing just goes from twitching to jitter. My ailerons do full movement back & forth at times. I would like to get by without having to replace anything till I get to fly the plane a time or 2 to try it out. I figured on a new battery already and found it online for about $15. I’m not sure if this is how the plane came setup (I’m thinking so because just about everything says hangar 9). I don’t think it’s the Hobico CS-67 servo causing it because the issue is still there when that servo is unplugged it just settles down a little. I’m trying to get to 10 posts so I can post pictures (dislike that rule by the way)

any idea