RCU Forums - View Single Post - What is the AMA
Thread: What is the AMA
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 07:36 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default What is the AMA

The AMA is much more then just the organization in Muncie. It's more then a late report, more then spread sheets. AMA is the people who are in the clubs, the true representatives of our hobby. It's the men and women who keep the clubs open that enables most of us to enjoy our hobby. It's the people who mow the grass, train new members, make a pot of coffee in the clubhouse. It's the friendships that develop from the common love of model airplanes. At my home club there are a group of guys who get together almost every weekday morning to take a flight or two but more importantly visit with their long time friends and be active in their retirement years. They talk about their military experiences, gossip, help new members learn to fly. They enjoy their life just a little more because they belong to an AMA sanctioned R/C club.

Yesterday one local club had a vintage fun fly. The criteria was that your model had to be a kit built airplane of a 30+ year old design. We had roughly 12 guys show up. More importantly is that it was a gathering of friends but several new friendships were made as well. I met a couple guys that are friends of friends I already had. I made a new friend of a young man named Jim. He and his grandparents came by to watch the airplanes fly and at times cheered as we landed. They were invited into the pits to get a closer look. Several of the participants spent time with Jim and his grandparents answering questions, showing their airplanes to them but more importantly showing them a warm welcome. I certainly hope that Jim does get involved with the hobby, we do need more young men like him.