RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electriflying Top Flite Stinson Reliant
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 08:28 AM
stearman65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink First Blood!!!

Originally Posted by aymodeler
Hi Eric,
I just got back from vacation and it looks like you are moving right along!!! Your build looks nice and clean so far.

I like your "lick it" method for bending the balsa. I keep an old spray bottle filled with water on my bench and make regular use of it when coaxing balsa into shape. I also find ammonia based glass cleaner (like Windex) to work well too, especially on tight bends. The ammonia loosens the wood fibers and really makes it pliable. On a shape like this, I will often pre-form the part by soaking it in water then bending it around a can or a jar that is roughly the right size, using tape or rubber bands to hold it in place while the water dries.

If I recall correctly, my Stinson interior kit came in a box, not a bag like you have. I will dig it out later today and see if it looks any different from what you show in your pictures (it may be just different packaging).

I have to say that all of the woodworking is actually my favorite part of a build, so I am really looking forward to starting my own Stinson project. I am already committed to the Cessna first though, and knowing my build pace, it will be a (very) long while before getting the Stinson started. Now that I am back home, I hope to get started in earnest on my Cessna this weekend.

Al
Hi Al
The wood for the elevator trailing edges is really poor quality (don't know how old your kit is?) fitting them the way I described is quickest using cyno, so long as you don't lick the cyno bottle. The Tailplane & elevators are 95% completed, just need final shaping & hinging, got some Robart hinges from a UK stockist. Fitted the control horn & hinge blocks to the elevators. Been looking around for fibreglass parts to replace the ABS & ply parts in the kit, (over 40 parts). Fibreglass Specialities in the USA can supply them, but after my experience with the add on costs on the cockpit kit, I'm a little wary, 200+ dollars is a lot to pay out, almost half the kit cost. Haven't found anyone in the UK to do the work. The title in today's post refers to cutting my finger on a new David plane blade, twice would you believe. So now I've bled for this model. Keep posting, Fin & rudder next part on the board.
Regs Eric.

Text in the pics.

Text in the pics.

Text in the pics.

Text in the pics.